922r Sporting Configuration?

Discussion in 'Second Amendment & Legal' started by jkpq45, Jan 29, 2014.

1. jkpq45

jkpq45 I am the walrus.

I think I'm up to snuff on 922r requirements when it comes to building AKs, etc. from foreign parts.

What isn't clear to me is what makes a shotgun or a rifle "in sporting configuration" so it isn't under the purview of 922r.

Any advice?

2. Easy CZ

Easy CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I hope this link helps...

[ame]http://youtu.be/zuajuMfByf8[/ame]

3. jkpq45

jkpq45 I am the walrus.

So that gave some opinions on what potentially makes a rifle/shotgun be "in sporting configuration."

Specifically, Saiga shotguns and rifles are imported in sporting configuration and totally assembled from foreign parts. The question is what additions would make the shotgun no longer be in sporting configuration.

4. jkpq45

jkpq45 I am the walrus.

For a little context, I saw a Saiga shotgun in as-imported "sporting confgurtion" with a 12-round magazine attached in a gun shop. I was told there's no restriction on mag capacity in the state I was in... but when I questioned the 922r parts count the guys behind the counter looked a bit dazed.

My response, of course, was to walk out and stay FAR away.

5. Easy CZ

Easy CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A very prudent move on your part.

6. jkpq45

jkpq45 I am the walrus.

Yeah, but the problem is, I still want 12 rounds in my detachable-mag shotgun. I just don't need the pistol grip and improved trigger group. My desired would be met with the stock, sporting-config saiga with greater than 5 rounds.