97BE vs Custom 1911

Discussion in 'CZ Pistol Forums' started by SPO1SHADOW, Oct 28, 2017.

1. SPO1SHADOW

SPO1SHADOW Member

I took several of my Custom 1911's out of the safe today because it had been so long since i have shot them. I started thinking about all the money i spent and all the time spent waiting back in the late 80's and early 90's to get these guns done so they needed to be used. It took less than a magazine full of ammo for them to go right back in their pistol rugs. It is unbelievable how much difference there is between the shooting comfort of the 1911 style pistols and the CZ 97BE. There is just no comparison especially when firing full house .45 ACP ammo. I probably should sell all my .45 1911's because i know i am never going to shoot them again. The recoil of a .45 is not unpleasant or even existent to me but when trying to shoot at speed there is just no contest between the 2 guns.

2. Goju

Goju New Member

I have no doubt that they are a great shooting pistol, but my "hands on" experience at the LGS showed me that the platform is not a good fit for my little girl hands...

3. rich63

rich63 New Member

I have a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 that has had some work done to it. I also have a 97 BD"e". Both have approx 1000 round through them. I shoot both well but I must give the 97 BD"e" the upper hand. Not that the SA 1911 is not a soft shooter because it is. The trigger on it is crisp 3.5# pull and breaks like glass. I just love the way it feels in the hand. There is nothing like shooting a 1911 that has been tuned. The 97 BD"e" is such a completely opposite gun. It is quite the beast in the hand. This gun melts into your hand. The ergonomics are perfect. I have a Hogue wrap around grip on it, and absolutely love the feel in my hand. The DA comes in 7lbs 14oz and the SA at 3lbs and 3oz. The trigger on this gun is butter smooth and breaks like glass. This gun is soft shooter and very easy to acquire the front sight for follow up shots. In my opinion, both guns are such opposites, each are great guns. I will not get rid of either. I must give the nod to the 97 BD"e" for better feel in the hand, recoil control and faster follow up shots. Absolutely love it. Just haven't shot either much this year. I know shame on me.

rich63

4. Earl_Keese

Earl_Keese Member

I keep buying 1911's thinking that I need at least one or two. Inevitably, they get sold and replaced with CZ's. At this point I'm giving in to the obsession. I'm a one trick pony, the only pistols that continually make me happy are CZ's. I really want a full custom 97B. One for BBQ carry, short dust cover, round trigger guard, blued, and of course a Cajun Bushing.

5. SPO1SHADOW

SPO1SHADOW Member

I don't have big hands either but i can control the 97B much easier than the 1911 with the much thinner grip. I use the LOK Bogies and skateboard tape on the front strap for some extra grip but i have the same thing on the 1911. With the thin Bogies on the 97B it feels much smaller than with the OEM grips but it recoils so much less it is very easy to shoot and control. Less recoil and muzzle flip on the CZ and not just a little, there is a huge difference. If you ever shot one you would not believe you were shooting the same round in both pistols. Big difference.

6. Goju

Goju New Member

You sir, may be an enabler without peer. :D If I ever get the opportunity for live fire, I most certainly will not pass it up!

7. R.A.N.G.E.R

R.A.N.G.E.R New Member

It's a little hard to find info about the CZ .45 semi-auto pistols -- I must not be looking in the right place. Am I correct in that they are not made any more, nor have been for a while? Still, I'm going to be on the look out

8. SPO1SHADOW

SPO1SHADOW Member

They are still making the 97B and it is one of the finest pistols in that caliber you can buy. I have 1911's custom built that i waited 3 years for that are not as accurate, reliable or nearly as comfortable to shoot. If you like the .45 ACP caliber and don't own one you are seriously missing the boat.

9. Earl_Keese

Earl_Keese Member

Last week I added Nills grips to my first 97, what a transformation! I'm picking up my second 97B this morning. This one will get frame modifications and more. Should make a nice BBQ gun.

R.A.N.G.E.R likes this.
  10. Goju

Goju New Member

RANGER - I believe the 1911 A1 model was a limited production model that has not been made for a couple of years now. I am not sure how many units were made, but I'm sure they pop up on GB

11. R.A.N.G.E.R

R.A.N.G.E.R New Member

Were the 97 B / D models a CZ version of the 1911?
    But done even more right?

12. Earl_Keese

Earl_Keese Member

R.A.N.G.E.R likes this.
  13. Earl_Keese

Earl_Keese Member

How small do pics have to be? I'm down to 375x500 and they still won't upload.

14. SPO1SHADOW

SPO1SHADOW Member

I have been using Imgur on here with great success. I use the "large thumbnail" version at the bottom of the image and it fits perfectly in the space provided. Tried several others after Photo Bucket lost their minds and went stupid. Imgur, once you figure it out, works the easiest for me. Even when i used the full sized picture this website resized it for me correctly so i must believe there is an issue with the image provider.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    Earl_Keese likes this.