A few old guns! S&W .38, Arisaka Type 99 Rifle, Mosin M44

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Pancho_Villa, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Supporting Member Supporter

Out of the blue, an old guy I know calls me. He has a few old guns he doesn't want anymore. For me to buy or sell for him at the gunshow next weekend. He knows I buy cheap, especially old guns, but he said he would bring them.

First is an M44 Russian carbine in 7.62X54r. It has a folding bayo. Nice blue, nice bore, bolt headspaced well. I know this one well cause I swapped it to him last year. It was the best of 2 beaters that I got in a swap and put one good one together. Made in 1946. Shoots very well. The old guys and his buddies decided they could tame the reoil and use it for a spare rifle at the hunting camp. Well, no one could handle the recoil, blast and kick from teh steel buttpad so it came back with the other 2 guns He wanted 150 for each one and settled for a bill each, or 3 hundred. A bit more than I wanted to give for the Russian M44 cause I got it for way less than a bill, but I really wanted the other 2 gun he had.

The Russian M44 carbine.

[​IMG]

The second one, i wanted for me. It is a Japanese Arisak Type 99 rifle in 7.7mm Japanese cal. The old guy said he got it from another old guy back in the 60s and had hunted and killed deer with it. It wasn't "Bubbafied." So that made it interesting. It is a late WWII production Type 99, or a "Last Ditch" rifle. Rifles made at this time were done in a hurry. Metal was running short, so buttplates were made of wood, as this one is. Wood for stocks was glued lenthwise and this one shows gaps where the glue has come loose. Metal is good. and the gun works. It is a good Mauser type action, just roughly finished. Early ones were much nicer. Some of these guns even had cast steel receivers, so shooting it could be a risk. Old guy said he had no problems with it, but never fired it much. It still has the Imperial "Mum" or flower shaped mark on the top of the receiver which means it may be a battlefield trophy. Most guns turned over at the end of the war had the Mum ground off by the Japanese cause it was to "save face" or something to that effect.

[​IMG]

Gun # 3, I really wanted alot. It is an old Military and Police model of 1905, 4th change. That production run ran from 1915 to @ 1942 when the Wartime Vicory Model was produced. Serial # rnage from @ 241,000 to near 1,000.000. This gun is near the end of the run at Serial # 885,XXX. It should be a .38 spl, but instead is a .38 S&W short like the wartime British Victory models. But it has no "V" prefix before the serial # like the Victory model. It does have a place for a lanyard ring in the butt like a Victory model. However, if it was ever there or not is not known. It has no British proofs, so it is not a lend-lease Brit. gun. My best guuss is civil defense, police, or some government agency that special ordered that caliber. It also has the letters "W B" stamped in the butt, not part of hte serial number, but some kinda identification mark. Anyone have any ideas?

Here it is. I have a much older one, a 1905, 3rd change, early run @ 1910 production. It is much the same. Can't tell what the actual difference is.

[​IMG]

2. Liberty

Liberty Half baked

Fantastic deal!

3. Easy CZ

Easy CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you at least kiss him first? Nice score.

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Supporting Member Supporter

It was o.k. I swap guns with this old guy pretty often. He likes wood and blue high powered rifles and they are expensive now, even used. I alsays pick up the current poly and dull black finish rifles now, but he doesn't like those. He has a large collection of nice rifles. The Arisaka and the S&W are from his early days of collecting. He said he just didn't have any use for them anymorer. WORKS FOR ME.

5. FALPhil

FALPhil Crusty curmudgeon

I love old military rifles. I have two Jap rifles that were war bringbacks. One Type 99 came from my wife's family and was missing the bolt. I found a correct one for it, but it does not match. The other is a TERA (Teishin Rakkasan Shyoujyu) Type 2. The TERA is pristine and all matching, even the firing pin. It is probably the most valuable collector piece I own. Looks like it was in the factory yesterday. My uncle (mother's brother-in-law) brought it back from Tokyo. He was able to snag it during the surrender ceremony prep.

6. Warhawk

Warhawk New Member

Those are some nice looking rifles and you got a good deal.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Well done Pancho...!!