Do you sew?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by AL Gal, Feb 4, 2014.

1. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

I have made two purses from a pattern and now since I've got my revolver and pistol, I'm thinking of trying to take what I've learned about the purse making into something where I could put the gun/s when I want to have one with me.

Have you ever thought of doing that? Or do you have a purse that is for concealed carry?

2. Windy

Windy Moderator Supporter

I do not have a conceal carry license yet. My personal thinking, though, is when I am allowed to carry I will carry on my person. I am afraid carrying in a purse would allow a purse snatcher to take my gun along with my purse. I plan on pocket carrying. But on the other hand, I would rather see a woman purse carry than not carry at all.

I do not currently sew but I did quite a bit when my children were young. I think you might be able to make yourself something very useful for carrying a pistol. Do you think the material would be strong enough to carry that weight, though, if you plan on having an extra pocket in your sewn purse. If you do design something, I would like to see pictures. Good luck on your sewing endeavors.

3. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

Windy - you have good points.

I don't know about on body carrying to start with, maybe work up to that. Not real fond of belts, and I do usually have pocket in my pants but not deep enough. So, purse for when going somewhere and wanting it at least within reach.

Just thinking so far.

If I make one, I'll let you know and show photos.

4. Windy

Windy Moderator Supporter

What firearm will you be carrying? You don't necessarily need a belt. I have a Remora holster for my little .380. I could pocket carry with it or IWB carry with no belt. It's an awesome little holster that stays where you put it.

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/Default.asp

[​IMG]

5. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

Thanks for that Windy. I'll have to check that out.

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Lover Of All Guns

There are plenty of on the body holsters that don't require a belt etc. I use a smartcarry holster when I can't use my belt etc.
    Any who ;) I sew, quilt, knit and crotchet.
    I haven't sewn a purse before. My grandma did all the time. She constantly made new purses. :)
    I don't care much for the CC purse idea. They get set down. You hang them on chairs. You walk away from them. etc etc etc. If you make one be sure to have a proper trigger guard. There are numerous stories of pens, lipsticks etc setting off firearms in purses.
    Maybe ankle carry would work for you? I don't really like that you have to either bring your leg up or crouch down to draw your weapon but at least you can't leave it at the restaurant or get it purse snatched ;)
    Just my thoughts :D
    Please share photos if you do sew one!