Gas or charcoal grill?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Windy, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Gas grill only. I like the convenience and the ability to control the heat.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Charcoal grill only. I like the taste of the char which is a carcinogen but I don't really care.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. I own both but prefer the charcoal grill.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I own both but prefer the gas grill.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. I own both and use them according to outside temp, time available to cook, item being cooked, etc.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Windy

Windy Moderator Supporter

This is always good for some debate. I own a charcoal grill and a wood/charcoal smoker. I like the flavour of food off a charcoal grill waaay better than off a gas grill. In my humble opinion, food cooked on a gas grill tastes the same as if it were cooked inside in the kitchen. I know there is some convenience to a gas grill but I start my charcoal in a chimney, then go in the house and prep the meat I'm going to grill. By then the coals are hot, I dump them in the grill, close the lid for 5 minutes or so to heat the grill, then grill my meat. I don't find a charcoal grill too difficult.

Let's hear what you all have to say.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. glock26USMC

glock26USMC Administrator Supporter

Charcoal all the way, however I do have both

3. Ajole

Ajole New Member

I like the gas grill. Faster, easier, more control.

But I also Dutch oven, and that's charcoal all the way. Mostly

I don't know how you are getting char in your kitchen, but my food tastes different.:p

I also have an electric smoker, and a smoke pan for my grill. If I want to taste the smoke, I can make it happen.;)

4. Windy

I was saying when I have eaten food cooked on a gas grill, it didn't taste much different than what I cook in my kitchen. NOTHING tops food cooked on a charcoal grill.

5. Bone

Bone New Member

Charcoal,but I cook on mesquite wood left over from woodturning.
    They got the price of charcoal almost up there with propane.

6. dead meat

dead meat New Member

Charcoal definitely gives a better taste to foo, i think most use gas due to the ease and fast heat up. Or just plain lazy like me, turn a knob push the ignitor and your off, i use my gas grill a lot, even in the winter.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl New Member

I have both. Depending on what is going on.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 Banned

i have a gas grille and do use it occasionally. but i mostly use a my grille with wood and sometimes charcoal. i use more wood than anything. yes it does take a little longer to get a good bed of coals for cooking, but IMO, it's worth the effort for the flavor you get.

9. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Supporting Member Supporter

South Texas is nothing but mesquite brush. I have 20 acres of the stuff taking over the fields around the house. So guess what I cook with?

I cut it around the fencelines. I burn piles it. I make fenceposts with it. It's invasive. I hate it, but have to live with it. But, it makes d@mn good BBQ. Every time I clear some fenceline, I have more BBQ wood. The wife doesn't like it in the fireplace, but we don't have but a handfull of days a year to use the fireplace.

What's a gas grill?:D

10. Bone

Bone New Member

man I love mesquite,it polishes up like marble.wonderfull turning wood.

Attached Files:

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 Banned

Pancho, i love cooking with mesquite wood. pecan is one of my favorites as well, but very rarely do i get any to use. the last time i had a substantial stack of pecan was about 15 years ago when a friends pecan tree died and i cut it down and hauled it home. but mesquite is one of my favorites too. imparts a nice flavor to meat.

12. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Supporting Member Supporter

Hey Bone,

I use to teach high school shop classes in my early years. The kids around here use to turn alot of stuff with the mesquite. Hard as hell, but finishes well if you take your time. Nice work ya got there.

13. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Those look great Bone!

I would love to charcoal grill more but it just takes s long to get it up to heat (or I just suck at it). Plus, we just don't seem to grill enough food to make it worth the wait. I agree though it does taste better.

14. dutchs

dutchs New Member

Did you say Dutch?? :D:eek:

15. Liberty

Liberty Half baked

Gas grill. I'm getting older and although I prefer charcoal (WOOD), this is way more convenient. I'll be 46 in May and the boy turns 3 in June, and I'd like one more next year. Gas can be wheeled back into the garage and much less cleanup.

16. Warhawk

Warhawk New Member

Years ago I had a gas grill but after our last move we just got a charcoal grill. I like it a lot better, takes a few more mins while we wait for the charcoal to get ready but it's worth the extra time.

17. Windy

I agree. I have a charcoal grill and a charcoal smoker. When I want to grill, I start the coals in a 'chimney' started. I light the paper under the chimney filled with charcoal and go in the house and prep the meat or start a side dish or two then go back out and dump the coals in the grill. It's not that difficult. And the flavour is well worth it.

18. scbuxton

scbuxton New Member

Nice looking mesquite. Here in the swamp we're lucky to get local hickory now and then. Mostly use the gas grill because of convenience. Smoke when we can.