S & W 360 Airweight

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by AL Gal, Jan 23, 2014.

1. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

On the advice of some gun enthusiast friends, I bought a revolver for my first gun.

This is what I have.

CZ  maxresdefault.jpg

So far I like it a good bit. There was another revolver much like it but in steel, but it did not feel as right in my hand, so I paid more and got this one.

Does anyone else have any experience with this model?

2. glock26USMC

glock26USMC Administrator Supporter

3. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I'm not, but what are your questions?

Those aluminum frames are great for keeping the weight down on an EDC.

4. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

Just general asking for any thing an older owner would tell a new owner about it.

I'm still getting use to being a gun owner. :eek:

5. jbardellini

jbardellini Member

Looks good hope you enjoy it.

6. Easy CZ

Easy CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As a general rule, snubbies are not a good choice for folks who are new to shooting. They have snappy recoil, poor sight picture and one of the shortest barrels around, all of which lead to poor accuracy. I would advise that you get professional training from someone who knows their way around a wheelgun.

The good news is, if you can become proficient with a snubbie, most other handguns will be a breeze.

7. bubba2001

bubba2001 New Member

looks good....shoot it and give us your review

8. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Supporting Member Supporter

Looks like ya got a nice pistola to me. The S&W snubs are very accurate. You just have to watch your sight alighnment and trigger control. I have had some of the older cousins to your gun. the steel frme 36, Airweight 37, and a Mod 38. All weere 5 shooters. The guns are great for concealment. Ammo in various powereranges and bullet types can also be used for target or self defense. The little guns have been used by LEOs as backups for years, long before the current poly frame P shooters that are available now. I carried an Airweight, nickle model 37 for years before I started using autos. It waS light and that was what mattered. It was also the easiest to operate. Just point it and pull the trigger. At combat range, that is all that matters. They are not intended to be range guns for extended shooting at targets and plinking.

Here is one of it's cousins. An old S&W Mod 60 in .38 spl. It's a bit heavy being stainless.

[​IMG]

Here is the 60, below. In comparison to a 5 shot Taurus Model 85. The Taurus 85 is another clone of the S&W J frame line. This 85 is an older one with a 3" heavy barrel. Both guns are .38 spl. I gave the Taurus to my F in law @ 20 years ago so he could take it on RV trips. When he went inthe nursing home 2 years ago, I got it back. It still works like now. Guess it should cause it still had the same 5 rounds of .38 Spl. JHPs. in it that I put in the gun when I gave it to him.:D

[​IMG]

And here is one alloy frame, lightweight Colt Cobra snub in .38 special. This one is from the mid 50s and it still gets used alot. It was carried by an old LEO in this area and he gave it to my dad on his retirement. My dad passed on in 92 and this was one of the guns I got. It is finish worn, but still tight cause it was hardly ever used. I still carry it cause it don't weigh much. 6 shot and a bit bigger than a J frame S&W. Just wish I could find a set of round butt rubber grips for it. Newer model Colt Dective Special grips do not fit cause the grip is longer and thin. It is hard to control with +P .38 spls. It tends to twist in the hand under recoil. But, I still carry it in coat pockets.

[​IMG]

9. colt45

colt45 New Member

AL Gal, Congrats on your 1st gun! You have a quality revolver that will give many years of trouble free service. Now the some what down side to this for a new shooter:
    Due to light weight it's going to be snappy = recoil even from standard factory loads, so don't even attempt +P loads until you get comfortable with it. It's not much of a range gun, meaning you most likely don't want to shoot more than 50 rounds at a time and keep the target at 5-7 yards when you do! This was made as a DEFENSIVE gun not a Range toy, so practice and get an instructor to help you with it and hit the range as many times a month as you can. Good Luck & keep us posted.

I have the S&W 642 Air Weight dao(double action only) 38spl+P with Crimson laser grips
    [​IMG]

10. DeaconKC

DeaconKC Member

ALGal, you chose a superb carry gun for your first gun. It's not the best to learn on, but you can do it. Start off with standard loads, no +P, the sights on S&Ws are regulated for 158 grain bullets. Take your time and learn trigger control and you will find it to be an extremely accurate gun.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  11. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

Thank you all for your responses. And Colt45, the rounds I've shot were +P, I've not had a chance to try it with the new regular ammo yet. When I purchased it was during that time of hard to get ammo last March. With it, I'm hitting a 1ft target with about 6-8 near the center, a couple on the edges and the rest on that large cardboard they staple it to. This is out of 20 shots.

Pancho- Villa , that top black revolver is VERY nice, the others are nice but I like that one best of the ones you're showing me.

I had a friend show me how to shoot for the first time back in Sept of 2012. He had several pistols but no revolvers. Then a friend at work that carried recommended a revolver for a first gun. Easier to load and clean.

The small gun was so I could carry when I wanted to after I controlled it decently.

I tried friend's wife's 9mm S&W pistol. So I have purchased one when on sale and need to learn to shoot it, too. He said I handled it well for a beginner.

smith and wesson SD9 VE.jpg

So, that one I have not shot yet. Need to get to the range and see about some lessons on both. Or have a shooting friend mentor me.

12. J-Will

J-Will I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Nice! I have an airweight on my short list as well

13. Easy CZ

Well, if you can handle 45 minutes shooting +Ps out of an Airweight, your new pistol should be a breeze. If there's an NRA Inteoduction to Firearms for Ladies class near you, you should look into that. Some training from a professional is ALWAYS a good investment.

14. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

I will look into that class EasyCZ. I know there are about 4 ranges in reasonable distance from my home. One probably has it.

And thanks for letting me know the pistol may be easier than what I've shot so far.

15. Easy CZ

You bet! Have you had any luck finding any lighter .38 Spl loads? That will, without a doubt, make your range trips much more enjoyable and productive.

Here's some decent online deals:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...special-158gr-lead-round-nose-50rds-3522.html

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Remi...rain-Metal-Case-Ammo-p/l38s11.htm?Click=37010

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=PM&prodID=PM38G&prodTitle=PMC%2038%20Special%20132%20gr%20FMJ%20Bronze%2050/box

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  16. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

I have 2 or 3 boxes that I bought a few months after I started going to the range, but finished off what I had been carrying to the range with me. So I need to go again.

17. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

Easy CZ those are some decent looking prices compared to store prices around here.

Thanks for them, I appreciate the help.

18. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Supporting Member Supporter

Your S&W looks familiar. Which model is it? Looks a bit longer than this one. This is an SW40VE, also known as the Sigma. Also had one in a 9mil. The one you got may be a bit longer. They have other models The SD40VE & 9 and the M&P which is in 9, .40, & .45 IIRC.

[​IMG]

Kinda big for a carry gun. Well for me anyway. I know alot of people can CC Glocks, 1911 and such. I can't. But these are great SD guns. They are boringly reliable and accurate. Just have to learn to control the trigger. Use mine alot arond the old rancho and at home as a home defense gun.

If ya got the S&W, you made a great choice.

19. AL Gal

AL Gal New Member

It's a SD9 VE 9mm The magazine is marked for 15.

The line that the silver on black is just barely over 6 3/4 inches, if that gives you a size reference.