silver tip or hollow point??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by c0ldbr3w, Feb 12, 2014.

1. c0ldbr3w

c0ldbr3w New Member

which do you perfer and why? I know this may be preferance only, just wonderin if there is forensic evidence or self testing showing one better than the other.

2. Easy CZ

Easy CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Silver tip? I'm not familiar with that term unless you're referring to FMJs - full metal jacket. The only time I would use an FMJ for SD would be in a .380 ACP. Otherwise, it's going to be a hollow point. I prefer Federal HSTs or Speer Gold Dots.

3. c0ldbr3w

c0ldbr3w New Member

no my dad has SilverTip for both his 30-06 and 38. It is jacketed up to almost the end then last like 2mm or so is silver. He bought them like 15-20 years ago and has been looking for them for his 223(was mine but dad wanted so bad I gave it to him) and his 380 he carries. So was wonderin if it just him or if they are balisticly superior to hollow points

4. AllOutOfAmmo

AllOutOfAmmo New Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. p07dutymaster

p07dutymaster New Member

my favorite jhp is 147 grain federal law enforcement ( white box ) and fmj is any ammo 124 grains and above.

6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Supporting Member Supporter

The old Silver Tip rifle ammo was from Winchester. Still have some in .270 cal. It came in the old yellow box with SUPER-X in red letter on it Stuff I have is 60s vintage.

The Winchester Silver Tip pistola ammow had a hollow point that was all Siver looking. I assume that is what he is refering to. Still have some of that. It was all the rage back in the 90s. Don't know if it is around anymore or theappearance or name just changed to keep up with the times. The Winchester "Black Talons " were also around then, but the name was changed due to media hype about all the tissue damage done by the bullet. Works like the old Remmy "Golden Sabers." Still have some of that. Don't know if that is still around or maybe those are Gold Dots now?

Anyone remember the "Devestaors?" Those were .22s that were suppose to blow up on impact. Don't think they weorked well. Hinkleywas suppose to have some in his RG .22s when the Reagan/Brady shooting took place. They sure didn't blow up. Anyway, the media hype kinda killed the name and the bullet. Don't remember who made those.

7. c0ldbr3w

c0ldbr3w New Member

yep called him the 38s are hollow point silver tip, he been looking for it at shops, I'll show him the link for that Winchester Ballistic silver tip he may have to settle for that and learn to order online. But guess the pistol ammo will be harder to find.