CZ Firearm Forums : CZTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SP-01 Tactical, P-07 w/Kadet Conversion, 97BD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back when, I had a CZ 75BD, the decocker-only variant of the classic pistol. I “traded up” to the SP-01 Tactical which feels as good in my hands as any gun I’ve ever owned. Along the way, I also picked up a two tone CZ 97B. I thought I might shoot it in USPSA Limited 10 class, but I never did. I ended up selling it off - one reason being that I detest any non-1911 pistol with a manual safety.

Fast forward a few years and CZ now offers a BD version of the 75’s Big Brother. So what’s not to love? CZ, .45 ACP, and no manual safety — it’s a slam dunk!

So I picked her up today. It feels every good as the SP-01 in my hand (bettter, frankly, than my Sig P-series guns!) and it has that iconic CZ look. I’ve got some G10 grips coming to dress her up next week, but for now I’m happy with her “as is”.

I did take her out back and run about 50 rounds through her. The gun seems to shoot left...but I will need to try it with a rest to verify. The groupings were good...but consistently 1-2” left of where they should be. So we’ll see!

I’ll have to schedule a group photo with all my .45’s after the grips come, but for now here’s the newest addition to the family!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice!

Quick question. Why do you dislike a manual safety on a non 1911?
Or is it that you just prefer a decocker?
I don't want any mechanical device between me and the discharge of the gun when I pull the trigger. 1911's - being single action - are an exception (but I probably would never carry one). With a proper holster and proper handling, a safety does nothing except possibly interrupt the firing sequence. I don't object to other people using them, but I don't want them on my guns.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't want any mechanical device between me and the discharge of the gun when I pull the trigger. 1911's - being single action - are an exception (but I probably would never carry one). With a proper holster and proper handling, a safety does nothing except possibly interrupt the firing sequence. I don't object to other people using them, but I don't want them on my guns.
Good answer.
I actually prefer no safety on the guns I depend on for self defense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@jmohme - I have a Beretta M9, just because it was the service pistol I used in the Navy. I can't count how many times it's gone "click" because of the safety. I know people say they train themselves to "sweep it off" on the draw, but that's one more step to remember!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice!

Quick question. Why do you dislike a manual safety on a non 1911?
Or is it that you just prefer a decocker?
I just bought a CZ 97 BD and love everything about it except 1. It's picky on some 45 ammo. I have a Ultra Custom 2 Carry that eats everything. I was hoping my CZ would do the same. Since I reload, I can customize my ammo to make it work by seating the bullet deeper. With this particular ogive, I have to seat very deep for my CZ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought a CZ 97 BD and love everything about it except 1. It's picky on some 45 ammo. I have a Ultra Custom 2 Carry that eats everything. I was hoping my CZ would do the same. Since I reload, I can customize my ammo to make it work by seating the bullet deeper. With this particular ogive, I have to seat very deep for my CZ.
i haven’t had any problem with my 97BD being picky about ammo. In fact, I have some S&B JHP that clogs up my Beretta PX4 because it is so short, but the CZ doesn’t blink.

That’s the S&B on the left, next to some Federal ball, then a Fiocchi JHP. The CZ liked them all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i haven’t had any problem with my 97BD being picky about ammo. In fact, I have some S&B JHP that clogs up my Beretta PX4 because it is so short, but the CZ doesn’t blink.

View attachment 902

That’s the S&B on the left, next to some Federal ball, then a Fiocchi JHP. The CZ liked them all.
Same, eats it all. However I do not cast my own bullets, just copper plated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't had my CZ 97B for too long but I'm liking it so far. I shot it back to back with my Sig P220 today and as a big Sig fan it pains me a little to say it but I preferred shooting the 97 to the 220. Maybe it's the big of extra weight with the 97's steel frame but it was definitely significantly softer shooting. Today was also the first time shooting the 97 with the VZ operator II grips on it. With the new grips I'm definitely becoming a fan. The stock grips just left it feeling kind of slippery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@jmohme - I have a Beretta M9, just because it was the service pistol I used in the Navy. I can't count how many times it's gone "click" because of the safety. I know people say they train themselves to "sweep it off" on the draw, but that's one more step to remember!
Well you can fix that one of two ways. The safety on the 92F (and all F series Berettas like the PX4F) is also a decocker.

1. Press it down to decock then immediately flick it back up (off safe) and holster. Boom, DA start without screwing around with a safety. I know that's not how the .mil teaches it, but who cares? Military basic marksmanship training is mostly retarded (and I say that having qualified as Navy Pistol Expert back in the day)

2. Go to Beretta's or Langdon Tactical's webstores and buy the DIY kit to change the F-style safety/decocker to the G-style decocker only. Once you finish the installation, there is no more manual safety. The decocker lowers the hammer when you press it and springs back up when you release it (the way God intended).

Like you, I can't stand manual safeties on handguns. I don't own a single one with it, and won't own a 1911, BHP, or anything else SAO for the same reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts