CZ Firearm Forums : CZTalk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to the site, I’ve tried to search for my answer but can’t find it. Probably because it’s obvious and doesn’t need to be asked haha.
So I’ve picked up a new 457 MTR with the match grade barrel, problem is that both the gun shops near me are out or match grade ammo.
now my question is: Can I use standard ammo in my match grade rifle?
I will be updating the factory barrel at some stage down the track.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You probably know by now but yes you can. I have 2 Varmint MTR's that love RWS R50 but the following are bulk off the shelf non match grade they like in order of accuracy:
Norma Tac22 (both like this the best)
CCI SV & Federal Automatch it's a back and forth in accuracy between these 2 but both rifle like them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I was wondering on a CZ 457 Varmint 22lr what size bore rod bush should I use. The .22 rod seams really tight. Thanks
Not sure if this will apply to the non match target Varmint barrel but I inquired that same question with CZ regarding my 2 Varmint MTR's barrels and got the following response:

"You’ll need to get a .17 cleaning rod and a .20 brush. Our .22lr bore is too tight for the standard .22lr cleaning rod. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!
Jacob Cheney
Customer Service Supervisor
913-321-1811 (ext 4701)"

One reason they recommend a .17 cal. rod is the ejector plate sticks up and will scrape a standard .22 rod thus ruining a standard rod very quickly, a .17 cal. is thin enough to go past it. I seldom use a rod instead after each range session I use a homemade monofilament patch puller (a 30" piece of .080 weed trimmer string melt one end to a blob sand down edge to fit into barrel then cut other end to a sharp point to penetrate patches or just get a Patch Worm 20/20 Concepts PatchWorm) with wet patches of Hoppe's # 9 that's allowed to soak for an hour or so to loosen any carbon ring followed by dry patches. If I do need a brush I use the following: .17 cal Rifle Ripcord® with their nylon brush in the kit .22 cal Limited Breech Bore Brush 2 Pack (1 nylon/1 bronze) .204-.22 which is a tad smaller than a standard .22 brush plus it has 5-40 threads to fit the .17 cal. cord fittings. Any .20 cal. 5-40 threaded nylon brush will fit it and can be purchased online at places like Amazon, etc. I seldom if ever use a bronze brush in my CZ's.
Good luck with your CZ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts