CZ Firearm Forums : CZTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it is. Some say that dry firing the gun from double action will stress the trigger spring, but from single action there are not issues. I dry fire single and double - no issues.
Dry fire is among the best types of practice.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The very best way to do this is to put a thick rubber O-ring over the firing pin at the rear of the slide. If you get the right size O-ring it will stay in place. Then you can dry fire all you want to without fear of breaking or stressing any component. The O-ring takes all of the abuse and the pistol takes none.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been happy with the G-sight laser trainers for my dry fire. You get feedback on where you're hitting from the laser and the app on the phone. They're more expensive than snap caps, but personally I think the feedback is worth the extra cost. I know everyone says it doesn't hurt to dry fire on an empty chamber, and I suppose I agree with it, but it definitely won't hurt to use a minimum of snap caps in the chamber as an extra measure of protection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been happy with the G-sight laser trainers for my dry fire. You get feedback on where you're hitting from the laser and the app on the phone. They're more expensive than snap caps, but personally I think the feedback is worth the extra cost. I know everyone says it doesn't hurt to dry fire on an empty chamber, and I suppose I agree with it, but it definitely won't hurt to use a minimum of snap caps in the chamber as an extra measure of protection.
I noticed that the G-sight ELMS has a list of guns that they recommend not using it with and the Shadow 2 is on that list. I reached out to them and was told the reason for this was because the force of the firing pin tended to tear through their rubber stopper on the back of the ELMS unit. Have you noticed this? ...because I really want to use it on my Shadow 2 Orange!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed that the G-sight ELMS has a list of guns that they recommend not using it with and the Shadow 2 is on that list. I reached out to them and was told the reason for this was because the force of the firing pin tended to tear through their rubber stopper on the back of the ELMS unit. Have you noticed this? ...because I really want to use it on my Shadow 2 Orange!!
Hi Herbie. I can see some impacts so it's clearly been used but I can't say it's tearing the rubber membrane. Now, I'm not dry firing 1000 rounds per day on them. I figure I have maybe 500 rounds total over a couple of months through my 9mm laser and maybe 150 through the .45. The point is I'm not dry firing every day for hundreds of rounds. I'll try to take some pictures and post. I'm also assuming (we know what happens when you assume...) that if the issue were with all CZ pistols then G-sight would have put the restrictions on CZ as a brand rather than the specific Shadow model. Finally, I thought that the rubber membrane was a replaceable part. I'll have to recheck that with G-Sight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK to dry fire CZ pistols, specifically Shadow 2 and RAMI?
Hammer fired CZs should not be dry fired repeatedly and often without something to cushion the hammer's impact on the back of the firing pin. There are two failure modes depending on the type of CZ that you have.

On CZs with a firing pin block, the component that gets damaged in dry fire is the firing pin retaining pin. It's the roll pin that goes through the slide in the area of the rear serrations.

When the hammer strikes the firing pin on an empty chamber, the firing pin goes forward too far and the clearance notch for the retaining pin hits the pin itself. Repeated, frequent impacts like that will eventually snap that roll pin leaving you with a jammed firing pin.

CZ pistols without a firing pin block (no roll pin through the slide on the rear by the firing pin) suffer firing pin and firing pin spring damage when the front of the firing pin is driven into the firing pin hole inside the slide by the hammer when there's nothing in the chamber to stop the firing pin's travel.

The solution is to either use a snap cap that cushions the firing pin or stick something over the back of the firing pin in the hammer notch at the back of the slide. I use a small o-ring, others use a piece of a foam ear plug. Just about anything that cushions the hammer strike will work.

You have one of each, as the RAMI has a firing pin block and the Shadow 2 (like all Shadow models) does not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts