CZ Firearm Forums : CZTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
VZ 27, 82, 58; CZ 527M
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of an older CZ 527, 577xxx. Changing elevation appears to require replacing front sight inserts. I see Numrich is selling inserts but I can’t find out what the numbering system is. And I can’t see how to remove that insert.

Any instruction appreciated.

Lee

·
Registered
17 Posts
The CZ-USA store use to offer 14 different heights of front sights and four different rear sight heights. The front sights use to sell for a bit less than 10 bucks each I can't remember the rear sight cost. NECG's also offer some front sight blades in both fiber optic and white dot varieties. But the NECG fronts are not offered in as many different heights. They also offer a brass faced blade that's file to adjust height. I have the brass front on my CZ 527 Carbines and they both needed a bit of file work to make fit the front sight ramp. Brownells (the gunsmithing store) has a formula on their site that will give you a pretty good indicator on how much adjustment you need to make. You then buy the blade that comes closest to what the amount of change the formula gives you. The bottom of your front sight blade should have a number stamped on the bottom. There is a bit of trial and error to getting it all aligned. So, buy the two closest front sights according to the formula. The front sights are held in place by a spring-loaded plunger that fits the curved section of the front sight. Push the plunger down and gently tap the front sight blade forward.

·
Registered
VZ 27, 82, 58; CZ 527M
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent information, much appreciated. I’m still recuperating from knee surgery so I haven’t been to the range yet with the rifle. The prior owner said it shot to POA at 50 yds; if so, given my aged eyesight, that will probably be good enough for me. But knowing how things work is good to have. I bought a set of Warne QD rings and mounted a Leupold VX 2-7 for longer shots.

Wood Trigger Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel

Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
17 Posts
My two Carbines, a 223 top and the 7.62 below. Both these wear a NECG brass blade front, and the lower 7.62 Carbine wears it's Leupold 1.5-5X in Warne medium QD mounts. I'm a lefty and the QD levers being on the right side didn't work for me. Kept pinching my fingers when running the bolt. I had to unscrew the recoil stop screw from the bottom of the rear mount and then drill and tap the other side of the for the recoil screw. This put the levers on the left side out of my way. The second photo is of three CZ rear sights (from left to right) numbered 1-2-3 of the four different heights. The 14 CZ front beads vary in a similar way. And if your eyes aren't quite what they use to be, but you still want to use irons there are a couple of peep sights available. Ones by Skinner but requires drilling and taping the rear rifle dovetail. And there's the NECG's peep that screws on to the rear dovetail like a scope ring. Both are adjustable for windage and elevation. I've no experience with the Skinner peep but the NECG's seems to maintain its zero when removed then replaced which is nice. I really like the CZ 527's their great little rifles. A shame that CZ decided to discontinue them. There a fun rabbit hole to fall into.

·
Registered
VZ 27, 82, 58; CZ 527M
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m a lefty as well. I rotated the qd levers to face forward as you can see in my photo. Sitting at the bench it seems they may stay out of the way. I’m also considering mounting my bipod onto the 527 so I can cycle the bolt with my right hand rather than reaching over the top. Worst case, i’ll follow your decision and get my ‘smith to relocate the recoil stop pin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since I pulled the scope a couple of photos of the NECG peep on the rifle. And a couple of the rifle with the levers on the left and the scope in its rings. When I first had problems with my fingers hitting the detach levers, I figured to just remove the recoil stop screw and leave it off. Then turn the rings 180*. It's not like the 7.62X39 has a lot of recoil. It does have enough recoil to walk the scope forward in the dovetails though. So ended up doing the drill and tap thing. There is only about 1/8" of the threaded section of the recoil stop screw actually in the ring. It's all shear forces though and it's worked so far. I also had to shorten the screw head some as the screws a bit inboard from the original screw position on the opposite side and was bottoming out in the rifle's dovetails recoil lug notch. If your Carbines in 223 you may be able to just remove the recoil stop screw and spin the rings. If it's 7.62 I think you'll find the screw necessary. Hope your knee heals quickly so you can get out and play some with your CZ.

·
Registered
VZ 27, 82, 58; CZ 527M
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is 7.62. If PT isn’t too harsh tomorrow I’m figuring on a Tuesday visit to the gun club.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts