CZ Firearm Forums : CZTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Son to an indoor gun range a couple days ago. You might say he is afraid of guns and I wanted him to be a little more comfortable around them. He has a very good friend that has been robbed twice while living in Kalifornia. His friend is a registered nurse. A doctor that works with him was recently robbed and tied up in his own home. I suggested going to the gun range and while there we all signed up for a USCCA gun safety course. I had a brand new Ruger LC9s 9mm that I gave him. He was having great difficulty hitting anything. I also have a Ruger SR40c and he had difficulty with it. Strange enough, the instructor said that my SR40c was not right for him either. As a matter of fact, the instructor shot it and said it was hard to shoot.
They had gun rental and the instructor suggested another gun. He came back with a CZ P10c. I am not believing this but my Son had a shot group at 7 yards the size of the palm of his hand and his hands are relatively small compared to mine. I am still having a hard time believing this.
So, we are in the market for a different gun. The one problem my Son had with the CZ is the texture of the grip. After shooting over 50 rounds his had was very sore. I can understand this because I didn't like the small knobs protruding from the handle either. My Son said it was like cutting butter shooting the CZ compared to my Rugers. The instructor said my guns were "old school" and the newer technology of the CZ P10c would be better for my Son.
My problem with this is I think the P10c is kind-of big for concealment. I was thinking of the P10S. Can anyone recommend one way or another what CZ I should be looking at? I am retired military and been in a couple or so combat situations but mostly with the M1, M14, M16, M60 and .50Cal. I qualified with a Colt M1911 but that is all of my pistol carrying experience except for my CCW.
I checked with CZ-USA and they offer a military discount. I can get the P10S for $468 plus tax. Problem is I don't know how much different the S shoots than the C, or if there is something better that is available. All replies and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might look at the CZ 75(B) and series 85's (ambidextrous versions of the 75 pistol). There full size all steel 9mm pistols with a shooters choice of double action pull or cocked and locked like your 1911 with a grip shape like the Browning Hi Powers. They and the Brownings have a reputation for fitting most people's hands very well. Some of the 75 pistols are available in 40 caliber and also a compact design but I haven't shot any of these. The top blued pistol is an 85 and the stainless is a 75B.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I am not looking to get a full size pistol, too hard to conceal. It has to be considered that my Son is not very gun savvy. Considering the P10S but I would like to talk to someone that owns or has shot one for comparison to the P10C. Any way you look at it the gun will have to be either a compact or sub-compact.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ed,
I am a bug CZ fan like most on here. But I have never felt comfy shooting any of the CZ polymer framed guns.....striker fired or hammer fired. For me, the extra weight (not much) is worth a CZ 75 compact steel framed gun. You might give them a try.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well personally I’d recommend the PCR or P01 their alloy frame compacts and shoot great. But if your stuck on the P10 and don’t like the knobs(I don’t care for them either) you can always sand them down some and smooth them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my Son to an indoor gun range a couple days ago. You might say he is afraid of guns and I wanted him to be a little more comfortable around them. He has a very good friend that has been robbed twice while living in Kalifornia. His friend is a registered nurse. A doctor that works with him was recently robbed and tied up in his own home. I suggested going to the gun range and while there we all signed up for a USCCA gun safety course. I had a brand new Ruger LC9s 9mm that I gave him. He was having great difficulty hitting anything. I also have a Ruger SR40c and he had difficulty with it. Strange enough, the instructor said that my SR40c was not right for him either. As a matter of fact, the instructor shot it and said it was hard to shoot.
They had gun rental and the instructor suggested another gun. He came back with a CZ P10c. I am not believing this but my Son had a shot group at 7 yards the size of the palm of his hand and his hands are relatively small compared to mine. I am still having a hard time believing this.
So, we are in the market for a different gun. The one problem my Son had with the CZ is the texture of the grip. After shooting over 50 rounds his had was very sore. I can understand this because I didn't like the small knobs protruding from the handle either. My Son said it was like cutting butter shooting the CZ compared to my Rugers. The instructor said my guns were "old school" and the newer technology of the CZ P10c would be better for my Son.
My problem with this is I think the P10c is kind-of big for concealment. I was thinking of the P10S. Can anyone recommend one way or another what CZ I should be looking at? I am retired military and been in a couple or so combat situations but mostly with the M1, M14, M16, M60 and .50Cal. I qualified with a Colt M1911 but that is all of my pistol carrying experience except for my CCW.
I checked with CZ-USA and they offer a military discount. I can get the P10S for $468 plus tax. Problem is I don't know how much different the S shoots than the C, or if there is something better that is available. All replies and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Ed
The CZ P10s is the pistol that broke my heart. The ergonomics are great, it shoots like a laser beam, but I could not cure it of its jamming problems. If you search CZ P10C and S models you will find references to nosedive jams on the feed ramp. I fired 6 or 700 rounds through it, sent it back to CZ once and also threw a Hail Mary and had Cajun Gun Works look at it, I really wanted to salvage it. They both tinkered with it and proclaimed it cured, but the last time I took it to the range it stove piped and then double-fed a few rounds later so I retired it because I could never trust my life to it. Thought it might have been a magazine problem, but I tried a bunch more OEM magazines and they all gave the same results. It's so easy to shoot, I look at it every once in a while and shed a tear for what might have been. I bought a Sig P365xl last spring and it is my current carry gun, I'm really happy with it. Get the XL, it's easier to shoot than the smaller version, holds 12+1, easy to conceal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The S model is a good gun overall, but will have a bit more felt recoil than the C model will
If your son is comfortable with the C then a light application of sandpaper on the grips will take the edge off the nubs so they don’t bite his hand so much. The pcr is also a good alternative as is the 75 compact. I know many around here carry the C model with a good holster and have no issues with concealed carry. As mentioned, the sig 365 may be a good alternative also, but I personally would stick with the p10c and smooth off the nubs a bit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another option besides the PCR or P01 would be a Rami as well if you want a hammer fire gun if not as I mentioned and sickpuppy mentioned you can just sand the the grip down to your liking I know that’s what I’d do. Another polymer alternative for carry would be a P07 model as well. That’s the next one on my list…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a problem with the polymer but the knobs on the grip are kind of rough. After a few hours on the range my Sons hands were really red from the texture of the grip. I might consider the 75C. The nice thing about the indoor range we went to is they have a wall full of guns you can rent for $10 a day, BUT it is $10 per gun per day. I think the P10C is the only CZ they had.
One thing that impressed me with CZ, they offer a military discount. A new P10S is $468. Can anyone tell me the difference in size of the P10C and the 75C? We were getting ready to go look at the guns some more but my Son is home from Texas and got a bit of sore throat. He went to the Immediate Care Center and he has Covid. He has had two Covid shots but not the booster.
The bad thing about this is I would have to purchase the gun and get a lockable hard case for it so he can put it in his checked baggage at the airport. He doesn't have his CCW yet so I don't know how that will go. He will have to get his CCW in Texas. I wish I could see all the CZ guns together so it would be easier to make a decision.
I still can't believe he had such trouble with my Rugers. Onlt thing that comes to mind is he might be limp-wristing a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell you what... things are changing so much I feel if you don't carry you are asking for trouble. When at the gun range the other day we all took the USCCA safety class. That is when the instructor recommended the CZ. I see the new DA in NYC is going to refuse prosecuting people that commit armed robbery and it will be classified as a misdemeanor. The only way you can go to jail is if you are defending yourself or your property/home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My problem with this is I think the P10c is kind-of big for concealment
I carry a P-10C or P-07 every day AIWB and have zero trouble concealing either under an untucked polo.

I find the grip texture on the P-10 not aggressive enough and have stippled mine to make it rougher.

It's been my experience that most people don't know how to grip a handgun correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts