CZ Firearm Forums : CZTalk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously looking at a 1012 in realtree bottom land finish. I have been looking into them and like most everything I see. There supposed to be able to take on a lot of different loads, and seem to hold up pretty well.
My thing is that every video I watch, they seem to recoil like a beast. I'm no flower. I'm 6'4 and 250 lbs, but still... I dont enjoy getting kicked in the shoulder by a mule twenty times on a hunt! lol.

Can anyone with experience with this gun shine some light on them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am seriously looking at a 1012 in realtree bottom land finish. I have been looking into them and like most everything I see. There supposed to be able to take on a lot of different loads, and seem to hold up pretty well.
My thing is that every video I watch, they seem to recoil like a beast. I'm no flower. I'm 6'4 and 250 lbs, but still... I dont enjoy getting kicked in the shoulder by a mule twenty times on a hunt! lol.

Can anyone with experience with this gun shine some light on them?
I have that exact gun, and use it mostly for Turkey, so I’m throwing 3 inch heavy lead. I have found it to recoil way less than my mossberg 500 with the same shells. I’ve shot gas guns like the beretta a300, and that’s certainly less recoil, but this feels like any other inertia gun. I’m 5-8 and it’s very comfortable to shoot. 2 3/4 target shells are a breeze.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have that exact gun, and use it mostly for Turkey, so I’m throwing 3 inch heavy lead. I have found it to recoil way less than my mossberg 500 with the same shells. I’ve shot gas guns like the beretta a300, and that’s certainly less recoil, but this feels like any other inertia gun. I’m 5-8 and it’s very comfortable to shoot. 2 3/4 target shells are a breeze.
I am looking into a 1012 as well. Can you comment on quality of build and a review of the gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah it’s not bad, mechanically it works great, it’s not a Benelli by any stretch but the fit and finish is good. If I had to do it again I’d opt for the wood stock just because the plastic a little loud In the woods because it’s hollow, but that’s true of any synthetic stock on a $500 gun. Again for me it’s a Turkey gun mostly. It’s very light and easy to hike with over your shoulder. Overall it’s a good shooting gun that’s made very well. You do have to break it in a bit, it was rather stiff to operate out of the box. Didn’t have any issues firing shells, just felt a bit clunky. A word of warning, it uses a very specific and hard to find choke and not a lot of companies make chokes for it. Took me two years to get an extra full Turkey choke for it. Patternmaster is one of the few. It’s very well balanced too. I’m happy with it and have had it a couple of seasons now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah it’s not bad, mechanically it works great, it’s not a Benelli by any stretch but the fit and finish is good. If I had to do it again I’d opt for the wood stock just because the plastic a little loud In the woods because it’s hollow, but that’s true of any synthetic stock on a $500 gun. Again for me it’s a Turkey gun mostly. It’s very light and easy to hike with over your shoulder. Overall it’s a good shooting gun that’s made very well. You do have to break it in a bit, it was rather stiff to operate out of the box. Didn’t have any issues firing shells, just felt a bit clunky. A word of warning, it uses a very specific and hard to find choke and not a lot of companies make chokes for it. Took me two years to get an extra full Turkey choke for it. Patternmaster is one of the few. It’s very well balanced too. I’m happy with it and have had it a couple of seasons now.
Thanks for the reply. I’m looking to use it for waterfowl. If you were looking for a new gun currently, would you buy the 1012 again or spend and extra $100 and look for something else? For example, for $100 more I could get an SX4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’m looking to use it for waterfowl. If you were looking for a new gun currently, would you buy the 1012 again or spend and extra $100 and look for something else? For example, for $100 more I could get an SX4.

Hard to say, from what I’ve read and generally understand about inertia guns, they are basically all the same with how they work and shoot. I had narrowed it down to the stoger 3000, this gun, and the weatherby (whatever the similarly priced inertia gun is). Given the choke issue, I might have gone with the weatherby, but almost all the guns in this price range are Turkish, so for interim guns, I’d say It’s really all about the same. I’d go handle a few and get the one that fits best, and seems the most comfortable to you. I don’t think $100 one way or another makes much difference, so if the SX4 fits well and you like it, get it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not at all, but they are the basic 5, so if you want one for steel shot, or extra full for ducks, you will have very limited options.
I called CZ today to confirm this. I was told I could should steel as long as I didn’t use anything tighter than the Modified choke. If I want to shoot anything tighter I would need aftermarket. Not sure why they would make their chokes all rated for steel since they promote this as a waterfowl gun. I know the chokes that came with my Beretta Ultima I’m Modified and Full are stamped they are rated for steel shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn’t appear this site gets much traffic so not sure why I am posting but here I am. I ordered a 1012 from Bass Pro in the gray with wood stock. Wanted synthetic but I do not like the bright silver hardware. Wish the would do the gray with synthetic.
I received the email that my gun was in so I headed in for inspection, paperwork and waiting period.
The employee brought the gun out, opened the case and the first thing I noticed was the inside of the case had a spider web crack with the center missing a chunk of plastic. On top of that the two outside hinges were both missing the pins and not attached. I looked the gun over and it appeared to be okay.
Needless to say I told him I was not taking this gun and was refunded my money.
Considering the employee had a hard time getting the cover closed and locked up whoever at CZ packaged this gun up had to know the condition of the case.
I am disappointed and not sure what direction I want to go. I could take my chances and order another 1012 or go a different direction such as the Weatherby Element or Franchi Affinity 3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts