CZ Firearm Forums : CZTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning my new P-01 before taking it for its first run, I noticed that there are non-finished milling marks on the slide rail and the inside of the frame isn’t painted. I see from another post that the frame is probably CZ’s standard operating procedure for the P-01.

I have a Shadow 2 and the frame is completely painted inside and out. I do realize that the Shadow 2 is a higher end pistol…..but really how much time and paint would be expended coating the entire frame. The Shadow has a steel frame, and rust is a big issue, but really. How much savings is there, just for the optics of an untreated frame not to mention the potential premature slide rail wear, and uncoated aluminum corrodIng or react to gun solvents.

Unprotected aluminum riding against steel can’t fair well over thousands of rounds. I have aluminum frame Sigs with over 12,000 through them and the anodized aluminum frame rails look new.

What is up with CZ quality control with the slide rail having non-coated areas?

Are my expectations too high?
Cosmetics Office supplies Wood Writing implement Marker pen

Wood Wood stain Air gun Trigger Hardwood

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is nothing to worry about. The slides and frames on all CZ pistols are phosphated and then Polycoted. You can remove the Polycote completely off the whole gun and it still will not rust. I started refinishing CZ 75 pistols 25 years ago and the first thing i learned was that the black paint, as you say, is just there for color, the phosphate under it is what provides the corrosion resistance. I have redone pistols that looked horrible on the outside but on the inside where there was no Polycote looked as if the gun had never been fired. Good luck to you wearing those frame rails, it simply will not happen. The CZ pistol is meant to run wet, the shiny spot on the rail was a high spot that was rubbing inside the frame so it was taken down to make the slide run smoothly through the frame. Where that shiny spot is located on the slide rail "should be" slathered in oil so i don't see that ever causing you a problem. Just shoot it and don't worry, it's all good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aluminum can’t be phosphate coated? I have been in the metal working trade for over 30 years (tool maker) and the inside of the frame and the frame rails are untreated cast aluminum.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Aluminum can’t be phosphate coated? I have been in the metal working trade for over 30 years (tool maker) and the inside of the frame and the frame rails are untreated cast aluminum.
Just take the gun back for a refund. You will never be happy with it. I should have been more precise as aluminum cannot rust in the first place and their frames are not anodized.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately after the background check is completed it can’t be returned, only traded in or sold As used. I have an email into CZ-USA, I am guessing their response will be similar to the above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to wonder if tolerances on the rails would be adversely affected if coated with a finish? Anyone know? My sigs don't have 12k rounds but the rails sure don't look new and I don't expect them to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Sig is a P229 with a frame made in Germany. My dad bought it used and was very meticulous on keeping track of the number of round he fed it. When it was passed down to me he had 12,000 plus .40 cal and .357 sigs through the gun. I have shot at least another 1000 to 2000 rounds, it is amazing the condition of that pistol. The gun received a thorough cleaning after a trip to the range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ouch…..but okay….. I did ask!
CZ-USA answer to my email was ” That is normal none of our aluminum frame model will have a finish on the inside. Since aluminum can’t rust they did not see a need to paint the inside.”. In the original email I also asked about the frame rails longevity with unprotected aluminum running on a steel frame. No answer to that question. So I replied to CZ’s email and asked again about the aluminum frame rails running against the steel slide rails, again crickets…..no answer.

I really like the size, feel and the looks of the P-01, so off it goes to get a new coat of Elite series Cerakote. Very hard and slippery stuff! I Will post pics when I get it back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here it is. Slide, frame and controls Cerakoted. Black is E-100 Blackout and the gray is E-240 Carbon Gray. Barefoot custom coatings did the Cerakoting. First class work, would highly recommend them!

No more exposed aluminum…….I am already sleeping better!

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newbie question here.

I have the same model, I believe, as OP:

cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01

The specs say that the frame is steel, but OP is discussing aluminum (slide rail?) on his. Please help me understand this and, if it's aluminum, is there a durability issue, as opposed to steel slide?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Newbie question here.

I have the same model, I believe, as OP:

cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01

The specs say that the frame is steel, but OP is discussing aluminum (slide rail?) on his. Please help me understand this and, if it's aluminum, is there a durability issue, as opposed to steel slide?
If CZ makes a pistol with an aluminum frame and steel slide, you can safely assume that they designed it in a way that it will last a lifetime.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts