CZ Firearm Forums : CZTalk banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The front strap was no better. It looks like someone used it as a hammer at some point but that did not show in the Polycoat so i have to believe it was there before it was painted.

These are rust pits but look how bumpy the front strap is.

After cleaning up the front strap i removed metal at the trigger guard joint to form an undercut to match the metal removed under the beaver tail.

After blending.

Ready to be finished. A good soak in some Acetone and the heat gun, we should have a good coat of rust in about 3 hours.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a good coat of red rust this morning. This will go on for several days before the color and depth is correct and the rusting stops. I will card the rust off and reapply the solution. I should be able to at least card twice a day until it stops rusting and then you are done.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think i can call this good with the 4th carding. The color is even and dark. It turned out very glossy which will improve with time. I will apply a good coat of boiled linseed oil and let the finish work until next weekend. With a few wipe downs you get the final product. Most all other oils contain chemicals that want to remove rust, you want to avoid these types of oils until the finish has seasoned. After a few weeks of wipe downs it won't matter what you use or if you never use any at all as this finish will never rust again. I think this is going to look really good with the blue/black controls and sights.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
So i came home tonight and wanted to check and see how the rear sight was going to fit. It does not. The new CGW's sights will not fit the older B models or the Transitionals. The dovetail is too deep for the sight to make it over the top sight rib. Is that going to stop me from installing it? Hell no. This I should have checked when the slide was still in the white. No worries, i can color match.
The filing has started.

Nope, not going on, not even close.

Took my small triangular file and broke the line.

Taking the rear off first so the blade can fully bottom out so you will have the full vertical adjustment.

Off comes the front until the depth is .115. The minimum notch depth for these sights is .115 and the old model guns like this one are .135-.140 to the top of the sight rib.

A tiny bit of light now shows under the front of the sight mount.

A little fine filing and clean up left.

Now we have a buried rear sight that fits the slide. A little more trim work and then the color match.

The sight blade will bottom out perfectly now. This will call for a .240 tall front to zero. Glad i waited to order the front sight until now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The finish is still working off this morning and is a few shades darker than it was mid-week. I keep applying linseed oil and working it with 0000 steel wool and then a good hard wipe down. I decided to install one of CGW's new heavy stainless guide rods. I have a jig i install from the rear of the recoil spring pocket to first drill a pilot hole. I have the 10X bushing installed along with the front sight that comes with the CGW's sight set. Because i have lowered the rear sight i know i will need a shorter front so i ordered a .240 Tall X .115 Wide front and it will take about a week for it to be made and shipped.

It takes a 1/4" hole for the new guide rod. The hole is slightly larger than it should be because the full length guide rod has to go around the full barrel lug on the bottom of the barrel. Any smaller and the guide rod will not go in.

Here the GR is installed along with the OEM barrel. The muzzle of the barrel was damaged and a little pitted. I had to cut the barrel back just a tick more than i like to get rid of the damage so a new barrel has been ordered and will be fitted later. The new guide rod fills the hole nicely.

I can't wait for the rest of the parts to arrive to get this all together. Chocolate Thunder is looking pretty good and the finish will continue to get better over the coming weeks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Getting close to being finished. The trigger is breaking at 2 lbs and moves about 1/16" to reset. The Loctite is curing on the trigger screws tonight. I still want to do some detail work on the manual safety lever and install an extended slide lock. Had the Rosewood grips gathering dust so i figured i would give them a try. The new barrel is coming.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts